September 2021 Welcome Message

Dear Faculty & Friends:
It is high time for me to get a message out to you. I sincerely hope you have all enjoyed a relaxing Labor Day weekend, and that you are having a good beginning to the fall semester.
With the pandemic sadly still with us, the board members decided during a zoom meeting last Sunday to postpone the Fall Welcoming Reception and instead surely hopefully be able to meet at Dorothy B. Oven Park on Sunday, December 12 from 4:00-6:00 p.m. for the Holiday Party. The reason for the earlier than usual meeting time, is primarily for us to be able to park before all the people arrive to admire the lights while also not having to drive so much in the dark.
I am attaching the membership form to this email. If you need me to mail you a form, please let me know. As you can see on the form, the dues structure remains the same this academic year as last year, with some of the funds going to the scholarship. During these difficult times, many students are in even greater need of help, and we sincerely thank all of you, who donated so generously last year. I am planning to send a hard copy newsletter in October after our next zoom board meeting at which point we should know better what the fall semester looks like.
The Book Discussion group will continue to zoom for several more months. It has been very successful to hold our discussions in that format. If interested, please contact Donna Meredith at meredithds@comcast.net to get more information. We have books chosen through February 2022.
After the summer break, the successful Investment Club continues to zoom. Please contact Marshall Kapp at marshall.kapp@gmail.com Last I heard, they still have a few openings available.
Bettina Tesón has recently returned from living in Berlin and has again taken over Sprechen Sie Deutsch? During the summer, Bettina sent us gorgeous photos from her beautiful walking tours in the environs around Berlin. If you would like to practice your German, this is the place. The first gathering is to be held in Inga Fahs-Gielisse’s garden on a Sunday afternoon TBA in October. Please contact Bettina at raui_30@hotmail.com
I am hoping we might find similar solutions to the French and Spanish groups.
We will hold off a while before heading to restaurants or to hosting gatherings in member households. Where the same goes for Stitch & Chat, those members will simply continue their stitching at home for the various good causes.
On a sad note, we quite recently lost two of our long-time members. Cecelia Linder passed away in August and Mary Stevenson quite suddenly last week. Mary was for decades a terrific and thoughtful contributor in the book discussion group. If you need her daughter’s address to send a message, please let me know.
Best regards to all,
Annelise